Create an energy savings plan
Start off this year by talking with your household members, friends, and neighbors about saving energy. By making a commitment to a few key things, you can realize significant energy savings.
Step by step:
- Set a goal to reduce energy use by 5% or 10% compared to the previous year.
- To meet your goal, focus on a few energy-saving strategies. For example,
- Agree to turn off lights in unoccupied rooms.
- Run only full loads in your dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer.
- Set the thermostat to an energy-saving level when you are home—78°F in the summer and 68°F in the winter. Before you leave home, raise the thermostat setting a few degrees in the summer and lower it in the winter.
- Track your monthly comparisons on your energy bill.